Saturday, December 31, 2016

Review: Kneeling in Spirit by Raven Kaldera

This review is going to be a bit of a departure from the usual fare for this blog, instead of erotica I will be giving you my thoughts on a non-fiction book: Kneeling in Spirit, edited by Raven Kaldera.















Shaun's rating:




  Kneeling in Spirit is an anthology in which Raven Kaldera has written the Foreward which is followed by the personal stories of several disabled submissives and then stories from several dominants who have (or had) disabled submissives.  The book gives a real world glimpse into the challenges of maintaining a D/s or M/s relationship when the 's' type is not blessed with perfect physical health. 

I must say that this is a subject that is close to my heart: I am a 's' type and I face physical challenges that sometimes make service to my 'M' difficult. As with the people who tell their stories in Kneeling in Spirit I am not able to serve my Mistress with the same physical grace and poise as do the characters we read about in erotic fiction. However, as this book points out, I can kneel in spirit and that is beautiful and powerful. The contributors to this book find ways to make power exchange, control, and service work in their relationships despite the challenges they face.

In my opinion this is an excellent and insightful book in dealing with physical challenges in D/s or M/s relationships. It was inspiring to read the stories presented and how both the dominant and the submissive were willing to find a way to make their relationship work. 

I think my biggest take-away from reading this book is that power exchange is mostly in the heart and mind. The physical stuff is wonderful and fun, and most relationships can find a way to make at least some physical power exchange happen, but more important is what goes on in our hearts and minds as this is the power and energy exchange that feeds our souls.

I'm giving Kneeling in Spirit five out of five paddles. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in power exchange relationships whether or not you or a partner deal with physical challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment